Chad A. Grand
Chad Grand is a Registered Patent Attorney and practices in all areas of intellectual property law, including patents, trademarks, copyrights, and trade secrets.
Mr. Grand's patent practice focuses on patent litigation, opinions, IP due diligence, licensing and prosecution covering a wide range of technologies. He has represented both patent holders and accused infringers in jurisdictions throughout the United States. Mr. Grand is also experienced in handling all aspects surrounding the drafting and prosecution of both domestic and foreign patents in the mechanical, chemical, biomedical, bioscience, and electrical fields, including specific areas related to complex oil field equipment and technology, safety equipment, industrial waste handling and disposal devices, communications equipment and technology, medical instruments, compositions and methods with medical and pharmaceutical applications, optical sensing devices, and many other technologies. Mr. Grand is also experienced with analyzing the patentability of new technology, and advising clients on issues related to whether patent protection should be sought. His patent transactions practice includes the preparation of patent licenses and assignments, patent infringement opinions, validity opinions, freedom-to-operate opinions, confidentiality agreements, vendor agreements, distribution agreements, and employment and consulting contracts.
Mr. Grand's trademark practice focuses on helping clients acquire, protect, and enforce both domestic and foreign trademarks. He provides counseling and representation extending to all facets of trademark law. Mr. Grand's practice includes counseling clients in their selection of trademarks; providing trademark availability and registerability opinions; preparing, filing, and prosecuting trademark applications in the U.S. and abroad; and policing potentially infringing uses of clients' marks. Mr. Grand also has experience handling trademark, trade secret, and unfair competition litigation in both federal and state courts. In addition, he has represented clients in trademark matters before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (TTAB), including trademark cancellation proceedings and trademark opposition proceedings.
Mr. Grand's copyright practice involves all aspects of copyright protection, licensing, and enforcement. Mr. Grand is experienced in obtaining copyright registrations; advising clients regarding ownership disputes; and preparing and negotiating licensing agreements, assignments, and employment contracts. He has litigated copyright issues on behalf of copyright owners and accused infringers in federal court.
Mr. Grand's litigation experience includes acting as lead attorney in multiple litigation cases involving claims of patent infringement, trademark infringement, copyright infringement, misappropriation of trade secrets, unfair competition, inventorship disputes, and other intellectual property issues.
During his practice, Mr. Grand has facilitated the acquisition and enforcement of intellectual property assets in more than 50 countries, including multiple jurisdictions in, both, North and South America, Europe, Africa, the Middle East, Asia, and Australia.
- Louisiana State University, B.S. in Zoology, 2005
- Paul M. Hebert Law Center, Louisiana State University, J.D. and B.C.L., 2005
- United States Patent and Trademark Office
- United States District Courts for the Eastern, Middle, and Western Districts of Louisiana
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- "Avoiding Vendor Management Issues." August 2013. A seminar given to in-house legal counsel and executives of financial institutions regarding potential pitfalls and best practices when entering into licensing agreements with vendors for software or other technology.
- "Bankers and Patent Trolls." December 2013. A continuing legal education course on the subject of patent trolls given at the 2013 Louisiana Bankers Association Bank Counsel Conference.
- "Patent Workshop." February 2010. A workshop for inventors at Louisiana State University's E. J. Ourso College of Business, sponsored by LSU's Louisiana Small Business Development Center and the LSU Library.
- "Intellectual Property Basics: Patents, Trademarks, Copyrights, and Trade Secrets." May 2009. A workshop event series sponsored by the Louisiana Business & Technology Center.
- Louisiana State Bar Association
- Intellectual Property Section of the Louisiana State Bar Association
- Baton Rouge Bar Association